Monday is Fun-Day! Go to Brunch with the family and just relax in each others company. Time to share memories and make new ones just by eating together.
Brunch in Dallas.
1. Head to Bread Winners Cafe and enjoy a delicious brunch. The menu will cater to everyone in the family and will be a memorable experince.
*The Northpark Center location has life size connect four boards that everyone will want to play. Sit out on the patio and bask in the rays.
Labor Day weekend is the weekend we look forward to. Most parents get Monday off so why not get away from your comfort zones and have an adventure during this long weekend.
This weekend will be about the BEST of the BEST food joints in Dallas/Ft. Worth
1. Start with the most important meal of the day... Breakfast.
Oddfellows in the Bishop Arts District is a must try. Go for the stacks of pancakes which include ginger bread, banana-peanut butter and red velvet stacks. An order of beignets is always a favorite.
2. Dream Cafe caters to vegetarian and non-vegetarians. This place serves up the yummiest popovers and good omelets.
3. Crossroads Diner is known for the famed sticky Bun.
1. Drive out to White Rock and go to the Keller's Drive In for their delicious burgers. The buns are what make the burger A-mazing.
1. Cafe Brazil has a great assortment of pancakes that will make it hard to decide which to get because they are all delicious.
2. Spiral Diner is a great alternative to non- vegetarians. The breakfast menu serves up some great smoothies and of course try the tofu scrambles.
1.Get down to the stockyards and eat at the love shack burger. and you have to get the dirty love burger that's topped with a quail egg. It's a unique twist on a classic burger that is sure to please.
1. Lego Fest is in town at the Dallas Convention Center. The tickets are steep but if you have a Lego Fanatic at home this will be the place they want to be.
2. The Dallas World Aquarium is by far one of the best Aquariums in the city. Have the kids enaged by asking them to spot which is the prettiest sea creature or the ugliest.
Weekend Getaway : West, TX
1. Its time to take a drive south on the 35 interstate and go to West, TX. The city is hosting the Biggest Czech and Polka festival in the region. Have fun in a new town and support small towns and their businesses.
2. No stop to West is complete without a stop at the Czech Stop in West. Load up on some kolaches, fruit and even BBQ. YUm
First day of school, first day of school. Take the kids out this evening and have a discussion about today's adventure at some cool dessert spots.
1. Take the kiddos out to Sprinkles and grab a sundae or next door and eat some yummy cupcakes.
*to avoid long lines the Sprinkles ATM is my favorite thing to do with the kids. The ATM plays music and the kids JAM out for bit and wait for the magical cupcake to appear.
2. To get a retro vibe head down to the Highland Park Pharmacy. Try the old fashion Ice Cream Sodas, and the HOT fudge brownie sundae. Either way sit up at the counter and just let the kids try what ever the heart desire.
3. Braum's of course is the old faithful place to get a yummy sundae. The kids cones are less then 2 dollars and swirled around so high. yum
4. Wild about Harry's is a fun place where the kids can create a sundae they will be proud of. A fun atmosphere to be apart of. Don't forget the photo op with the hot dog harry outside the store.
*Sweet Frogs Yogurt
This weekend is the last Hoo-rah of the summer. The kids are starting back in school and its the time to get in the fun!
Friday: Southlake / Grapevine
1. It is the return of the fireworks at the Grapevine Lake. This time take the family to Torchy's Tacos and enjoy some mouth-watering tacos. I recommend going for the queso and chips. By far the best Queso that the whole family will enjoy. Yum. For a second option, have some burgers at Johnny B. this place is a staple in Southlake where the locals eat.
2. After dinner, head down to the Oak Grove Park in Grapevine to watch the fireworks. Some of the best views of the show are near the boat ramp on the Southeast corner of the lake. Bring blankets or lawn chair. The fireworks begin at 9:30pm.
Saturday: North Irving
1. Saturdays are always a good day for brunch with the family. Take the family to Le peep in Las Colinas and enjoy some yummy pancakes and delicious pastry's.
2. YaY for awesome splash pads and water parks. This weekend is the time to get in that last big splash of the summer. Irving is so cool that is has TWO Aquatic Centers. One in North and South Irving. Gates open at 12 and close at 9pm. Both locations have shallow areas for the toddlers and big slides that the parents and teens will like. I would recommend bringing some snacks for the family.
3. After a long day of swimming grab some lunch/dinner at some great eateries in Irving. For some yummy authentic Italian pizza go to Cavalli pizza and watch the pizza being made and placed in the wood burning oven. For some great chicken fried chicken head to Cheddars and leave full. And of course can't leave out the Tex-Mex get the fix at 7 Salsas Mexican Cuisine.
*BONUS ON-GOING EVENTS:
Dollar Days at the Arboretum is still a must before the school year begins.
Cinema in the Circle Movies in Addison, TX will be showing Batman (1966) beginning at dusk on Saturday (around 8:30 pm).
The weekend is fast approaching. Let's all get out to a heavy metal concert and go absolutely crazy.
This weekend is a mixture of indoor and outdoor fun.
1. Friday night is all about the downtown Dallas scene. Midnight at the Nasher will get the kids engaged with live music that will keep them entertained and a great movie (Where the Wild things Are) will be shown later in the evening. Arrive early and grab a burger at Savor/relish Burger Stand at the Klyde Warren Park, or some other fine delicacy from the food trucks that will line the street at the park.
Northpark Center/ Dallas
1. Have fun indoors on Saturday at Northpark Center. Start things off by taking the family to Bread Winners Cafe for a scrumptious brunch. This is by far the best place in the area for brunch. I recommend going out on the patio and let the kids play with life size connect four boards.
2. Right across from the Bread Winners cafe is the Bookmarks Library. At 2pm "The Caribbean Show" will have an amazing reading time with the feel of calypso and reggae story time. At 2:30pm, Oil and Cotton, a creative education studio from the Bishop Art District, will be at the library with fun and creative crafts for kids of all ages to enjoy.
1. Saturday evening, take to the skies and look up. It's not a bird or a plane... It's Hot air balloons. Highland Village will be hosting the 27th annual Balloon Festival.
2. The carnival food at the Balloon Festival will be a treat. If you prefer a quick bite, head down to SuschiYAA for some delicious flavors of Japanese sushi. Or some good custard at Freddy's Frozen Custard.
p.s. If you are still excited about the concert idea, then you might want to check out Lee Harvey's in the Cedars for a date night. They are known for consistently showcasing great local talent.
- have fun
This itinerary includes ideas for several locations around the area that will keep you in awe from flowers to yummy fruits at the farmers market and gorgeous stars that light up the prairie sky of Dallas. So, whether you feel like staying close to home or feeling more adventurous, this journey is all about the visual pleasures around us. Lets soak it all in.
Let's start off with a BONUS for Friday night!
1. Start the Friday night by having a yummy dinner at the Central Market in Southlake and listen to live music. Arrive early and grab a seat out on the patio, this is a kid friendly location with a playground for them to have fun also. The cafe offers many varieties of foods like the famous central market burger, the steak salad and tandori wrap. The kids menu is just as good.
*for desert grab some gelato which can be found inside near the deli.
It can become crowded since it is a popular place for dinner. Other great eats can be found across the street at the Southlake Town Square. Places like Mi Cocina, Snuffers (cheese fries is a must) or the Five Guys means that your "Plan B" is covered.
2. After dinner, head down to the Oak Grove Park in Grapevine to watch the fireworks with yummy snacks that you picked up at the central market. Bring blankets or lawn chairs. The fireworks begin at 9:30pm.
White Rock Lake
1. Grab breakfast at Hypnotic Donuts in White Rock. This spot is known for crafty donuts and the famous chicken biscuits. The atmosphere is cozy and laid back. Go for the "Canadian Healthcare", yes it's a donut with bacon on top yum.
2. Take your breakfast from the hypnotic donuts and go to the Dallas Arboretum that's down the street. The admission is $1 during the month of August. It's a bargain. Here, the kids can splash at the frogs spray area and the gardens are beautiful. So, bring your camera for the many photo opportunities you will have.
* The White Rock Lake Farmers Market is only 5 miles from the Arboretum at the Green Spot Market. There will be many vendors offering things like local honey, produce and of course yummy popsicles.
1. Have breakfast at the Village Baking Co. in Dallas. It is a french style bakery that offers goodies like the chocolate almond croissant. Any pastry on display will be absolutely amazing. It will be hard not choose more than a few flaky pastries because they are that good. Sit out in front of the bakery and enjoy. Bon Apetit.
2. After breakfast, the family can ride the M-Line Trolley up/down McKinney ave. its a FREE ride and everyone will enjoy the views of the downtown Dallas area. It's a great way to explore while enjoying the air-conditioned trolley.
3. Lunch/Dinner have some tacos at La Ventana. Get the sweet caramel churros. Highly recommended.
4. For a magical evening, go with the family to watch the sunset over Dallas at the GeO-Deck from the top of the Reunion Tower. Purchasing the tickets online will save some time at the gate.
1. For an evening activity, take the family up to Frisco Commons park for the Frisco StarFest. A dozen telescopes will be available to gaze out at the stars. It will start when the sun goes down till 10pm. 8000 McKinney Rd
1. Sunday is Funday at the Panther Island Pavillion.
This is a family friendly event with free parking and tube rentals for $5. Enjoy a funday with the family in Ft. Worth.